News

Second concussion lawsuit filed against NHL

Second concussion lawsuit filed against NHL

HOCKEY: The lawsuit, filed in a U.S. District Court in New York, is the second filed against the National Hockey League in less than five months to claim the league did not do enough to prevent concussions. Photo: Associated Press

(Reuters) – Nine former players filed a class action lawsuit against the NHL on Thursday, alleging that the league subjected players to “the imminent risk of head trauma” leading to long-term negative health consequences.

The lawsuit, filed in a U.S. District Court in New York, is the second filed against the National Hockey League in less than five months to claim the league did not do enough to prevent concussions.

The latest complaint alleges that, “the NHL has failed and continues to fail to warn its players of these risks and consequences of head trauma.”

The suit also claims the NHL concealed material scientific and anecdotal information from players.

“The NHL has failed to institute policies and protocols that could have and will protect its players from suffering or exacerbating head trauma sustained during practice or in games,” read the complaint.

Among the plaintiffs, Dan LaCouture, Jack Carlson, Mike Peluso and Tom Younghans spent their careers as enforcers and piled up more minutes in fighting penalties than points.

The other players named in the lawsuit were Dan Keczmer, Richard Brennan, Brad Maxwell, Allan Rourke and Scott Bailey.

“Through enclosed rink designs and lax rules for fighting, the NHL vectored a culture of extreme violence and packaged the spoils to adoring fans.” continued the suit.

The NHL did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A lawsuit filed last year that started with 10 plaintiffs but has since grown to over 200, said it was time for the NHL to elevate player safety over profit and tradition.

Concussions have been in the NHL spotlight for years.

Pittsburgh Penguins captain Sidney Crosby, the game’s most popular player and face of the NHL, missed large chunks of two seasons as he slowly recovered from concussion symptoms.

Several other players, including former All-Stars Eric Lindros, Pat LaFontaine and Keith Primeau, were all forced to prematurely end their careers due to concussion issues.

In 2011, three former NHL enforcers, Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak died tragically raising concerns about a possible link between the deaths and the players’ tough guy roles and concussions.

Last year the National Football League paid $765 million to settle a similar lawsuit brought by thousands of former players, many suffering from dementia and health problems.

(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto; Editing by Frank Pingue)

Recent Headlines

29 mins ago in Entertainment, Sports

Kobe Bryant’s ‘Dear Basketball’ to get Disney treatment

Fresh
KOBE472419167185

Kobe Bryant's farewell poem to basketball is going to be turned into a short film.

1 hour ago in Entertainment, Weird

Fanciful ‘Boaty McBoatface’ passed over for vessel name

Fresh
19-overlay-1

Don't expect to see Boaty McBoatface on the high seas.

1 hour ago in National, Olympics, Sports

Rio mayor assures Olympics not impacted by graft, political turmoil

Fresh
olympicsmayorREUTERS

Rio de Janeiro's mayor said Thursday preparations for the Olympics will not be impacted by Brazil's political turbulence, and he guaranteed there was zero corruption in the city's projects for the games.

2 hours ago in Entertainment

Alden Ehrenreich cast as Han Solo in ‘Star Wars’ spinoff

Fresh
ehrenreich260221408342

He will take on the role of Solo, previously made famous by Harrison Ford, in Disney's standalone movie about the life of the hero before he first made his appearance in 1977's "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope."

2 hours ago in National

U.S. cracks down on e-cigarettes and cigars, bans sales to minors

Fresh
vapingREUTERS

The U.S. government took wide-ranging steps to crack down for the first time on e-cigarettes and cigars, growing in popularity among teens, and banned sales to anyone under age 18 in hopes of sparing a new generation from nicotine addiction.