News

‘Breaking Bad’ star to play Lex Luthor

‘Breaking Bad’ star to play Lex Luthor

Bryan Cranston will play Superman's arch nemesis, Lex Luthor in the next Man of Steel film Photo: WENN/Brian To

Breaking Bad star Bryan Cranston has been cast as Lex Luthor in the Man of Steel sequel, according to reports.

The actor has reportedly signed a deal that will tie him to 10 films as Superman’s arch-nemesis, according to Cosmic Book News.

A source says, “Cranston truly is a dream casting for Luthor.”

Executives at Warner Bros. are reportedly looking to make the casting announcement after the series finale of Cranston’s hit TV drama Breaking Bad.

Cranston was easy to cast – he urged the producers of the next Superman movie to consider him for the role.

Earlier this year, he told Metro.us, “Give me a call. I like Lex Luthor. I think he’s misunderstood. He’s a lovable, sweet man.”

Cranston insisted he is already well prepared to play the hairless villain as he has been shaving his head for several years for his role as cancer-stricken teacher-turned-drug dealer Walter White in Breaking Bad.

Luthor has previously been played on the big screen by Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey.

On Friday, it was announced Ben Affleck will be playing Batman in the Man of Steel follow-up. British actor Henry Cavill will reprise his role as Superman.

Recent Headlines

in Sports

INSTANT REPLAY: The week’s best sports photos

Fresh
cavaliers

A look back at some of the week's biggest plays in sports and the moments you may have missed.

in Sports

This weekend’s sports schedule

Fresh
hockey

Here's a look at some of the big sporting events taking place this weekend.

in National

Making headlines this week

Fresh
AP141543910901_5

A look back at some of the big stories and the headlines you may have missed.

in Entertainment

Netflix: What’s coming and going in June

Fresh
netflix

Find out what you should watch this weekend and get a sneak peak at what's being added next month.

in Sports

Sepp Blatter wins re-election as FIFA president

Updated
FIFA president Sepp Blatter speaks during a press conference in Marrakech, Morocco, Friday, Dec. 19, 2014. FIFA will not reopen the vote for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, and will publish at least some of the confidential report into the bidding process, Blatter said Friday.

Sepp Blatter's FIFA re-election came despite demands that he quit in the face of a major bribery scandal.